Monday, April 25, 2011

Rainbow

My favorite part of family gatherings is the epic desert table that forms by the end of the night. Having a family of over 30 people usually means have at least 15 deserts. Everyone always brings something - whether it's cake or cookies. However, my all time favorite holiday staple is the rainbow cookie.

Mmmm...

These bad boys are my weakness. If you have had a deprived life and have never experienced the delight that is rainbow cookies let me attempt to describe it to you...

It's more of a tiny cake than a cookie. Each different color is made up of a soft, moist almond flavored cake. In between each layer is usually raspberry jam, but I've seen them made with apricot jam too. But wait -  it doesn't end there. Did I mention they're completely smothered in chocolate? That's right. Chocolate. This dessert is everything anyone would ever want in a food. Seriously.

To my delight as I scanned the table this year my eyes landed on something even more spectacular than in my rainbow dreams. What I saw was a rainbow cookie cake. Not only did this mean more chocolate, but I no longer had to be ashamed at the mass of cookie I took from the table. I simply took a "ahem" larger piece of cake. 

Our cake wasn't quite this fancy, but the inside looked identical.

Apparently, to my surprise, rainbow cakes are becoming more and more popular. When doing my back-to-dorm-life food shopping at Uncle G's (whom I featured in one of my earlier posts), I noticed that they too sold rainbow cookie cake!

Our cake, however, was from Alpine Bakery. If you dare to go near Alpine on or near any holiday, not only will you dish out big bucks, but you can also except to wait on a line that wraps around the building. The shop is practically famous on the Island.

But what's the best part about having so many desserts? Leftovers. I happily cut another massive piece of cake before I left. Now half of it is gone, but the other half is still resting in my mini-fridge, taunting me.


No comments:

Post a Comment