Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Procrastination

On the subject of procrastination, I'm an expert. However, not as much of an expert as Caroline Trezza, a Roslyn High School senior who just won $35,000 for her research project on why students procrastinate. According to her, procrastination is linked to students' self-confident, motivation, and ability. She mentions the psychological harm that putting tasks off can have.

Original Newsday article: click here

As far as my opinion goes, I agree with Trezza. I don't have to research to support my view, but I know from personal experience that I am more eager and likely to do projects I have an interest in or know I can do without much effort. The work I usually put off the most is the assignments that I have a hard time with, or that I find plain boring.



Procrastination is a horrible habit, and I'm guilty of indulging in it. Just like the 40% of sophomore at Roslyn High School, I often regret it when I put things off. A perfect example is my multimedia class. I have a lot of trouble with computers, thus I try to not think about the projects I have due. This leads to me panicking last minute begging my friends to help me edit, record, and add music to videos.

A day in the life of your typical procrastinator...



It really doesn't help that we are constantly surrounded by so many distractions. Websites like facebook, stumbleupon, and tumblr have all contributed to my delaying work. Almost all of my homework requires me to use my laptop. It's so easy to open up a webpage and find yourself wasting time doing random things on the internet. It seems like there's always something to pull your attention away from your schoolwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment