Monday, April 11, 2011

Bubbles

I’m not usually the type to try anything crazy or new. I guess you can say that I’ve always been a rather picky eater and that plenty of foods out there gross me out. However, lately I’ve been more adventurous with what I’m trying.

My mom’s birthday just passed on April 1st. When someone in my family has a birthday, the tradition is that the special birthday boy or girl gets to choose where the entire family goes to eat dinner. So, since it was my Mom’s choice, she chose to go to a new hibachi restaurant that all her coworkers have been raving about. It’s called Nishiki, and it was delicious. We all sat around a big table with a hot flat grill in the middle. Once our chef came, he cooked all our different meals with impressive speed and skill, shooting saki and broccoli into our mouths at the same time. As if that wasn’t enough, he created giant flames and “volcanoes” on the table for us too.

If you're not sure what I meant by volcano... 



You may be thinking "there's nothing that weird about hibachi..", but it's what I ate there that is unusual for me to try. I don't like sushi, but I love what they called their sweet potato roll. It has no fish, which makes me happy, plus I absolutely love sweet potatoes.


Another new thing I tried this week was bubble tea. Wow. If you've never had the pleasure of drinking it, you need to stop whatever it is that you're currently doing and run - not walk - to Green Lotus and get some. It's amazing. My friend Berenice told me about it and took me to get some. At only 4 bucks for a large I couldn't complain. It is by far the strangest looking drink I've ever gotten, but easily the most tasty.




Yes, those black things are meant to be there. They're tapioca, and you suck them up through your jumbo straw with the sweet, flavored tea. I got the almond flavor (upon recommendation). It was sweet, nutty, and smooth, just like the outside of a toasted almond ice cream bar. Needless to say, I'm addicted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment