Sunday, March 20, 2011

Nose Ring

My parents have always been relatively liberal when it comes to my siblings and I expressing ourselves. They never tried to dictate what we wore, or how we styled our hair and usually supported most of our decisions. However, when it comes to tattoos and piercings, both my mom and dad are hesitant. In order to convince them what you're planning is a good idea, you better have a great proposal.

Being the baby of the family, things such as these are usually easier for me to get away with. Thankfully, my older brother and sister did a great job of breaking in my parents - from surprise belly button rings, to a tattoo that sits right below my brothers wrist. I've never been the type to shock my parents, so this weekend I brought up something I've wanted for a long time... a nose ring.

My mom always thought they were cute, so she didn't seem to bothered at the idea. My dad, on the other hand, resisted. In order to make him see things my way, I brought up a few key things in our conversation. My main point is that a piercing is temporary, unlike a tattoo. I always made sure to talk about how sanitary the tattoo shop I was going to get it done at was, and how good of a reputation they had. He was worried that I wouldn't be allowed to work - McDonald's has some rules regarding facial jewelry - but I talked to my boss and got the "okay" before hand. With all of his questions answered and concerned soothed, he finally gave his blessing.



Now with my nose freshly pierced, I can go back to school with a little more sparkle and feel a tiny bit more unique for the upcoming summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment