Sunday, February 27, 2011

Feathers

There's so few people we encounter in life that we can truly call a real friend. We all have our acquaintances that we go out with or people that we hang out with every so often, but those people rarely stay in our lives in the long run. When you meet one of those people, you know. I'm happy to say that I've found a true friend while here at school.

Me and Tara during winter break

On an everyday basis, while school is in session, Tara lives in the same room as me. Once we have a break or  classes end, she lives over 3,000 miles away. I'm from Long Island and she's from the Los Gatos, California. I've never even met someone that lives that far away, let alone be friends with them, but I've never gotten as close with a person in so little time as I have with her. We always have a good time, even if it's doing something weird or slightly unorthodox.

It was a regular day, I was sitting on my computer and Tara was sitting on her bed. Out of nowhere she yells and calls me over, showing me something that we "ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE." You should know that this is not an unusual thing to hear out of her mouth. I walk over, skeptical, and look at what she has pulled up on her Macbook...


FineFeatherheads: Spring 2011 from Dakota Hills on Vimeo.

The next thing I know I'm on the phone with a hair salon in East Village making appointments to get feathers stuck in my head for the next 6 weeks. I'm not really the spontaneous type, but Tara always seems to push me to do things I wouldn't do normally.

The only problem was that now we had to figure out how to get there.

Neither of us are very good at directions, but we figured we could find it by ourselves. Once we got off the F train we spent about 20 minutes walking in the wrong direction. Apparently both of us didn't realize that there's a big difference between 7th Ave and 7th East. Thank God for iPhone's map application, or we would have walked in the wrong direction until it was dark, just staring into all the restaurants we wanted to eat at after our appointments.

After all was said and done, we were in love with our new hairstyles. Needless to say we spent the rest of the night strutting around campus showing off our hair to anyone that was willing to look.

If you look at me today you will still see the feathers strategically poking out from behind my right ear.



Every time I get ready in the morning or go to fix my hair I'm reminded of how much fun we always have and how close we are. That day was the perfect example of why we're such good friends and why I'm sure we will be for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment