Sunday, February 20, 2011

Interview

For the interview assignment I was paired with Kaitlin Simpson. We got along right away and we recorded our interview in one of the lounges in my dorm, St. Vincent.

A picture of Kaitlin from her Facebook

There were a few answers she gave me that were really interesting and that I wouldn't have expected her to say. Considering she's from the complete opposite side of the country, she was able to show me a different perspective on things.


Question: What was it like growing up there? (talking about California) 

Kaitlin's Answer: It was a kind of quaint, small town but kind of close to the big city, but i really never went into LA that much. Everyone thinks if you're from California you're from the beach, but no I live over half an hour away.

She was right, I had always assumed that living in California meant you practically lived at the beach. It was cool to see how diverse a single state could be.


Question: Why did you chose journalism as your major?

Kaitlin's Answer: Well I joined my school's newspaper in 8th grade because yearbook was full and I fell in love with it. I loved writing, I always loved writing. 

I thought it was funny that she joined the newspaper club as a last resort and she ended up loving it so much she wanted to make a career out of it.


Question: Do you follow any blogs about fashion or any other writing about it?

Kaitlin's Answer: I follow on twitter. I follow Glamour magazine and some designers so I know what's coming out, whats the next thing. I try to form my own opinion before reading someone else's.

I liked how she said she cared more about what she thought about a fashion or a trend more than a critic writing a blog or a review.


Those were just some of the highlights. To hear the rest of the interview click on the player below...



I really appreciated how honest Kaitlin was with all of her answers. She made it fun and easy to talk to her, making it more like we were hanging out than trying to finish a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment