Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lunch Date

Being away from school there's few things I miss more than my mom. We've always been incredibly close and she's always been one of my best friends. Our relationship is something that I've always been so happy to have, and something that my friends have always teased me about. 

Mom eating her wrap at Tiger Lily


This weekend I was lucky enough to be able to go home to my house in Mt. Sinai, NY and see my whole family together for the first time in almost a month. The summer before I came to school I would always spend Saturday mornings and early afternoons with my mom. We usually did the same thing... get manicures and pedicures and get lunch at our favorite little cafe in downtown Port Jefferson, Tiger Lily. This Saturday was no exception. I never realized how much I missed our afternoons together until I finally got to have one again. We both ordered our favorites... I got "falafel with the works" and she "grilled vegetable and humus wrap." 

My falafel wrap


Aside from the food being healthy and delicious, the whole atmosphere of Tiger Lily is amazing. The walls are covered with art from local artists and all the tables and decorations are unique, giving the place a really cool indie feel. We always try to get the same table, the one right in the middle of the cafe. It's the perfect little table for two and it's surrounded by art. 

One of the art covered walls at Tiger Lily


Being away from my parents is hard, especially since we've always been so close. Getting to spend time with my mom, just me and her, makes me realize how lucky I am to have such an amazing woman, and teacher as my mom. She inspires me in so many ways, from her work ethic to her caring nature. I always hope that one day I'll be able to treat her to lunch and a "mani pedi" and to make her proud of the person I become. I can't wait until the next time I get to come home and get to have another lunch date.

No comments:

Post a Comment